Adams man charged in Bounti-Fare Restaurant break-in

Posted
NORTH ADAMS — An Adams man is facing charges for allegedly breaking into the Bounti-Fare Restaurant last weekend.

Stephen K. Matthews, 28, of Melrose Street, was captured by surveillance footage Saturday night reaching through a small window and grabbing a box of gift cards that was within arm's reach, according to police. He later entered the building through its banquet hall doors and was chased away by an employee.

The employee told police that he had been sitting at the bar about 11:50 p.m. after closing the restaurant when he heard a noise in the front of the building. When he encountered the employee, Matthews ran out of the door and onto Howland Avenue.

The cash box was believed to have held about $200 in restaurant gift cards, which were found by officers in bushes near the building, according to the police report filed by Adams Police Officer Nicholas Dabrowski.

A jacket that he left at the scene had his identification in the pocket, police said.

Police tracked Matthews to his uncle's residence, where he was arrested without incident.

Matthews pleaded not guilty in Northern Berkshire District Court on Tuesday to single counts of breaking and entering in the daytime for a felony, larceny from a building, and failing to register as a sex offender.

Judge William Rota released him on personal recognizance and scheduled a pretrial hearing for Nov. 8.

Reach staff writer Adam Shanks at 413-496-6376 or @EagleAdamShanks on Twitter


TALK TO US

If you'd like to leave a comment (or a tip or a question) about this story with the editors, please email us. We also welcome letters to the editor for publication; you can do that by filling out our letters form and submitting it to the newsroom.



Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions